After weight loss surgery, individuals reported increases, decreases, and no change in their depressive symptoms. Individuals whose body mass index increased endorsed higher depressive symptoms and lower self-esteem, compared to the other groups.
- Find activities that you enjoy participating in.
- Be around others that support you.
- Try to stick to a regular sleep schedule.
- Be physically active at least once a day.
- Discuss with your doctor any changes in your mood after surgery.
Although individuals that had depressive symptoms, increased, decreased, or had not change their body mass index did not differ; however, body mass index was only related to changes in depressive symptoms for those individuals whose depressive symptoms increased.
Link to Article: