Based on a sample of 41 African American women, common barriers that were identified as affecting their motivation to lose weight were lack of time, access to resources, internal and external control, and identifying with larger size. Common barriers against weight loss surgery for this sample of African American women included the extremity of weight loss surgery or that it was a last option, and the fears and concerns about the surgery and outcomes from it.
- Research different options that could lead to weight loss.
- Discuss with your doctor about the option of weight loss surgery and other weight loss outcomes.
- Discuss the risks and benefits from weight loss surgery and other weight loss options.
- Join a support group to discuss your fears and concerns and how those individuals overcame them.
- Determine the pros and cons to having and not having weight loss surgery.
Fear is a major factor to decrease motivational success. One can overcome fear by identifying the steps required to decrease the barriers contributing to the fear.
Link to Article: