The results show that as depression gets worse emotional eating does too, so the more depressed we are the more we tend to eat and the more weight we gain over a period of time. Also, emotional eating was found to predict an increased risk of developing weight related complications in the future (BMI and Waist circumference) specially for those who sleep less than 7hrs or less a day.
- Get an adequate amount of sleep (more than 7 hours).
- Less sleep could equate to more weight gain.
- Avoid looking at your phone or news for at least 1 hour before bed.
- Track your sleeping habits.
- Set up a nightly routine to ensure that you will get adequate amounts of sleep.
To reduce vulnerability in weight gain, better sleep quality and reducing emotional eating habits are encouraged.
Link to Article: