A majority of mental health gain is from the overall weight loss achieved from bariatric surgery in depressive patient. The other important factor that improves the depressive symptoms is the control one gains from successfully choosing the surgery and obtaining positive results. Although some feel positive effects, not all patients maintain or achieve the weight loss and improve mental health symptoms.
- Try to incorporate healthy foods into your meals.
- After surgery keep a journal of your mental health to monitor changes.
- Find a physical exercise routine that you enjoy.
- Try to move at least once a day.
- Before surgery discuss with your doctor reasonable expectations for after surgery and ways to increase benefits of surgery.
Before weight loss surgery, severe psychopathology and the individual’s expectation that life will dramatically change after the surgery can also negatively impact psychology health after surgery.
Link to Article: